Google

giovedì 6 dicembre 2007

Interview with Micah Lebrun

q) Introduce yourself first please?

a)Hello, my name is Micah LeBrun. I am 31 years old and live in San Francisco, California.

q) How did you get into art?

a)I remember drawing since I was 2 or 3 years old. I became more serious about art and decided to make a career out of it when I was around 15 years old. I think I got into art out of boredom, but my older brother drew also and we became sort of competitive. I would say my brother had alot to do with me sticking with it.
q) Who has been the biggest influence on you?

a)I am influenced by so much in life and by many other artists....it is a bit difficult to say what has been the biggest influence on me and my work, but I was heavily supported by a couple of teachers I had in grade school, John and Evelyn Hardy. They were both literature teachers and they always told me to be an artist and not to settle for any thing less.
q) Do you rule by any tendency in your creative work, or you only follow what comes in your mind?

a)I feel that my work has changed so much over the last ten years I've been painting...I do tend to use the figure more often to display my visual ideas. I will step into a grove and paint similar themes over the course of a few months, but I prefer to use different colors and styles with each individual piece. Overall, I would say I paint straight from my mind; I rarely to preliminary sketches before painting a piece.

q) Do you have a preferred medium to work on? Why?

a) I prefer to paint on wood. Wood excepts liquid mediums in a different way than canvas and it is always unique based on the grain and type of wood I use. Wood can be stained w/ color and still display it's organic nature which can then be implemented as an element of the painting. After painting for twelve years with acrylic paint, I am just now beginning to work with oil paint which is really taking the feel of my work into a new direction. I am really enjoying the process more w/ oil. It is more difficult, but it feels good to be challenged by the medium and it's more engaging.

q) How much does your environment have an effect on your pictures?

a)Environments...well I've surely been in some which have inspired me to paint. Prague was big in that way. I rarely try and recreate the environment around me in my work. Painting is escaping for me...it doesn't really matter if I'm in Hawaii or in my studio, if I'm painting,everything else melts away, including time and environment. I do try and create unique environments in my work which do not directly mimic the environments in which people identify with on a daily basis.

q) Tell us about your studio space. Where do you work? Do you listen to certain types of music while working?

a) My studio - I am fortunate enough to have a garage under my house (which is rare and expensive in San Francisco) which I have converted into my studio. It's a no frills sort of place. Paint all over the concrete floor,but aside from that mess, everything has a place and is kept in impeccable order. I'm a bit of a neat freak that I believe people can see in my work and the way in which I paint. Colors are quite literally displayed in color wheel format; purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red, brown,black. I have flat files and racks for my paintings to keep things organized; they are covered by black fabric to keep the dust out. Mirrors on the sealing above my drafting tables and work benches so that I can use my own face as a structure reference when painting portraits. Good stereo system, ipod, three easels, two chairs, supplies galore, lights, lights and more lights. There is also plenty of room to park my ride...a 1966 Chevelle Malibu Super Sport (I am a bit of a car freak also)As far as music is concerned, I listen to everything; hip hop, rap,electronic, breaks, classic rock, blue grass, jazz, blues, funk, classical and on and on. Lately it's been a lot of Miles Davis, Johnny Cash, Neil Young and the Doors. I know a ton of DJ's in the city so I am fortunate to receive many mixed cd's with a variety of stuff on them.

q) Who are your favorite artists?

a)Favorite artists: Istvan Sandorfi, Erin Eisenhower, Crayola, Mateo(Berlin - ZoZoVille Gallery) Da Vinci, Picasso, Jud Burgeron, Alanzo Smith, Nome Edonna, Mars One to name some.

q )When have you started using the internet and what role does this form of communication play for you, personally, for your art, and for your business?

a)The internet has been clutch! I mainly use it to research images. My website has been up for a few years now and has made things a lot easier regarding promotion and sales. I plan on revamping my site next year to show more detail. As it is now, it is hard to get a feel for how involved the work really is; my work is heavily carried by the meticulous details I paint in. It is hard to imagine life and career w/ out the internet. It is a wonderful tool that truly simplifies many aspects of life.

q) What books are on your nightstand?
a) I have only one book on the nightstand at the moment, "VERT" and I don't remember the authors name I just started it, but have been painting so much lately that I haven't picked it up in awhile. I do most my reading when I travel. I have a hard time taking the time out to read...I'm usually always doing something.
q) Any interesting "rituals" before you start creating?

a) I used to have many different rituals before and while I painted, but I have slowly cut them out of my work process because, well, they weren't all that healthy for me if you know what I mean. Now, I pretty much just paint...no nonsense; get in and get out. Times a wastin'.

q) What is your favourite colour?

a)Favorite color isn't one - BLACK. Nothing can balance, contrast or set off another color like black.

q) What is the best time in the day for you to work on a project? Is there one, or is it more about the environment -- maybe the right mood?

a)I usually don't begin working until around 8 pm and will work until around 2 - 4 am. I also like blasting through weekends though. Start around 10 am and paint until midnight or so and again the next day. Ipaint hard for a few months at a time and then I won't paint anything for a few months while I play and satisfy the rest of my desires in life. I'm still looking to instill a more consistent balance though.

q) What projects mean a lot to you at the moment?

a) I am currently painting a large piece called, "The Fattening of the Humans" which means a lot o me. The image came from a dream I had of two giant, obese women feeding an equally giant pig - I mean GIANT. Huge women and huge pig (it was actually a hairy hog in my dream, but I opted for the smooth skin pig in the painting.

q)Your contacts…

Micah LeBrun
325 Montcalm
San Francisco, CA 94110(415)987-7614

0 Commenti:

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page