Google

giovedì 4 ottobre 2007

Interview with Corrie Gregory

q)Let's start with the basics; what's your full name, where do you live, andhow old are you?

a)Corrie Gregory, North Hollywood California , 39 years old

q) Do you have any formal training?
a)Yes, I earned a BFA from Otis College of Art and Design in Los Angeles
q) Did the place you grew up in influence your image making?

a)I grew up an only child with divorced parents – so much of my time was spent alone in my bedroom with books and stuffed animals and the television. These early comforts show up in my work time again.
Living in Los Angeles definitely influenced my art making, my mom loved adventure. and loved art, and Los Angeles has both. We spent time at the LA County Museum and driving all over the city to find ethnic foods. To this day I don't like to take the freeway, I love the surface streets seeing the neighborhoods change as you drive by. Looking at the window of a car is still one of my favorite things.

q) How do you come up with your concepts?

a)Sometimes they come from a story or a saying, sometimes it's from am image. It can be from a memory or an experience or a relationship. I usually have a central idea of theme for the series I'm working on.Once I have that idea floating in my head. I surround myself with visual imagery: old books, vintage greeting cards, toys, images I found in magazines or on-line. I find a central image and I do lots of sketching using that image as a reference but allowing for tweaking and modifying making the image mine. Once I am happy with the drawing I'll scan into my computer and re-size it. From there transfer it onto a wood panel or paper. Once it's placed I create a world for that character to inhabit.

q) Describe your creations in a clear, concise and understandable sentence.What do you call them?

a)I let other people decide what to call them

q) What other mediums would you like to explore in your image making?

a)I'm really interested in installations and making objects. I have been dreaming about sewing. I marvel at what people are making.

q) What is the best time in the day for you to work on a project? Is there

a)One, or is it more about the environment -- maybe the right mood?I can work anytime as long as there are incense, good tunes and a big cup of coffee.

q) What are your artistic influences? And .generally who or whatinfluences you the most?

a)Music, Nature, Memories, Stories.

q) Who are some of your favorite artists/designers/photographers?

a)Ed Kienholz, Maurice Sendak, Georganne Deen, Tom Knechtel, The Royal Art Lodge, Manuel Ocampo , Frida Kahlo

q) What is your next project ? Exhibition? Collaboration?

a)I have a friend with a letterpress – she does beautiful work – I hope to work with her on a project

q) What are your plans for the future?

a)Working in my studio as much as possible…And I'd like to make objects, taking some of the images from my paintings and creating objects. I'm going to North Carolina to hang out with my dad and learn how to carve in wax, I'm really excited about that.

q) Are there some web sites that You would like to recommend? Artists, artcommunities, xxx,!?

a)http://www.the-flog.com/(I check this site everyday, it's got great coverage of Los Angeles Art scene)
http://songsillinoismp3.blogspot.com/My favorite music blog.

q) What sort of music do you listen to?
a)Music is very important to my process –I can't work with out tunes I've been listing to a lot of Laura Veirs, Bread, Joe Henry, Iron And Wine, Lady And Bird, Califone, and Neko Case. My day job is running an on-line record store called Miles of Music, so music is always playing.

q)Do you collect anything?If so what?
a)I collect old medical books, vintage greeting cards and children's books. I also collect old paper and documents especially medical/dental related.
q)What do you do for fun?

a)Work in my studio, take walks with my husband and my three dogs Miles Merlie and Satchel, read magazines and drink coffee.

q)Any advice you can pass onto aspiring artists/designers?

a)Don't listen to the voices, follow your heart.

q)Your contacts

0 Commenti:

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page