Google

venerdì 12 ottobre 2007

Interview with Angela Beloian

q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.

a)I live in Boulder, Colorado and have a studio back in a canyon near a creek. I also teach art at an alternative high school.

q)How would you describe your work?

a)My work has changed a lot over the years, but my current work is about looking at mass produced, decorator fabrics that are designed to go out of style. By starting with this fabric as the foundation of the work, I'm challenged to create art that goes beyond trends and is somehow more timeless.

q) Did somebody encourage you to become an artist?

a)Both of my parents are creative but chose more conventional careers than studio art. I think I inherited their artistic genes and because of their support was able to pursue my dreams of being a fine artist.

q) What is your favorite medium?

a)I like a lot of different mediums but somehow I keep returning to acrylic paint.

q) Can you describe your process, from the seed of an idea to a complete work?

a)The fabrics I sew together are the starting point for me. I like to choose pieces that fight one another. I then pour black ink over them to create the "skeleton" on which my painting will grow. Trying to find the relationships between the disparate patterns and the challenge to create a unified piece keeps me constantly engaged.

q) Generally speaking, where do your ideas come from?

a)The world around me.

q) How long does it take to complete a piece?

a)I hate this question, but people love to ask it! Every piece is different and I often work on more than one piece at a time, letting some sit unfinished in my studio for awhile before returning to them. Sometimes it's a linear process and sometimes it's very circuitous, so it's a hard question to answer.

q) Who are your favorite artists…and who are some artists you are currently looking/listening to?

a)Matisse, Picasso, Gary Hume, Tim Hawkinson, Matthew Ritchie.


q) Are you represented by a gallery? Do you have any upcoming exhibits?

a)I currently show with Karin Sanders Fine Art in Sag Harbor, New York and will be part of a group show opening in November. I also have ongoing exhibits with Exhibitrek in Boulder, Colorado; Artizen in Dallas, Texas; and Patou Fine Art in Dania Beach, Florida.

q) Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?

a)The drive through the canyon to my studio is a great entry into my practice. I also love listening to the sound of the creek outside my window.

q) What is your favorite a) taste, b) sound, c) sight, d) smell, and e) tactile sensation?

a)Chocolate, water, twilight, sauteing onions, bread dough.


q) Do you have goals that you are trying to reach as an artist, what is your 'drive'?

a)What would you like to accomplish in your 'profession'?
I love connecting to an audience through my work. It makes me feel connected to the world. So opportunities to show the work on a wide scale interest me.

q) When have you started using the internet and what role does this form of communication play for you, personally, for your art, and for your business?

a)I love the internet because it connects me to people all over the world. I have reached an audience via the web that would not have been possible 10 years ago. It amazes me.

q) What do you obsess over?

a)Contemporary art. Seeing it and making it.

q) Do you have prefered working hours? Do you pay attention to the time of the day or maybe specific lighting?

a)I have a young son, so I work whenever I can!
q) Do you do commissioned works?
a)Sometimes.

q) Any tips for emerging artists?

a)Focus on the work first. Marketing second. Don't put the cart before the horse!


q)…Your contacts

a) Angela Beloian

0 Commenti:

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page