Google

sabato 25 agosto 2007

Interview with Drew Beckmeyer

q)Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.

a)I’m 24 years old. I was born, raised, and remain in Los Angeles.


q)How would you describe your work?

a)I work on paper of various sizes. In terms of subjects, I’m drawn to ideas that I don’t understand or ideas which confuse me in an intellectual or emotional way. I use the art making process to try and come to a better understanding of that idea, or at least gain a specific point of view concerning it. For me, I use drawing to learn about things I would usually be too lazy to go out and investigate.

q) Did somebody encourage you to become an artist?

a)I wouldn’t say I was encouraged to be an artist, but it runs in my family. My father is an architect. My mother was a graphic designer and my grandfather was an art director.

q) What is your favourite medium?

a)Mostly drawing mediums. I work very fast, and the medium has to support that, so there is alot of gouache, ink, pencil, collage... some acrylic.

q) Can you describe your process, from the seed of an idea to a complete work?
a) I get an idea, and usually ill wait a couple days. Then ill do 2 or 3 tiny sketches which would look like scribbles to anyone but me. At this point I might start doing some research if necessary and then I would cram those elements into the scribbles. Once the idea is a little more solid, ill do another really loose sketch on the paper I want it on. This sketch is usually just 3 or 4 big shapes which represent the construction to me. Then I start to paint it. Ill either paint the whole thing all at once, or ill paint one thing at a time and work in a more reactionary way, where the end result looks very different from the original idea.

q)Generally speaking, where do your ideas come from?

a)Awkward situations, religion, science, discomfort, magic.
q) How long does it take to complete a piece?
a)1 day-3 weeks

q) Who are your favorite artists…and who are some artists you are currently looking/listening to?

a)Chris Johanson
Jules De Balincourt
Raymond Pettibon
Gary Panter
Winsor McKay
Tim Hawkinson
and most of my friends work
the mountain goats
the wilderness
Okkervil river
Fugazi
Skip James
the national
Billy Bragg
lots and lots of stuff

q) Are you represented by a gallery? Do you have any upcoming exhibits?

a)I’m not represented but I’m in a 3 person show with Katherine Guillen and Brian Rush at JUNC gallery on october 7th. http://www.juncgallery.com. And a solo show in the project room at Tinlark gallery in may of 2008.

q) Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?

a)It’s horrible, but I cant really work without soda, usually cherry coke. When I’m doing sketches or thinking over ideas,I like listening to music that has either a story, or a sense of history to it. And when I actually start painting, I usually will put on "the office" or some movie from my childhood like "Jurassic Park" or "the sandlot"

q) What is your favorite a) taste, b) sound, c) sight, d) smell, and e) tactile sensation?

a)It’s always a toss up between sound and sight.I love music so much, but I couldn’t do what I do without sight....

q) Do you have goals that you are trying to reach as an artist, what is your drive'?What would you like to accomplish in your 'profession'?

a)For now, I would just like to be able to support myself with my art.If that means illustration, that’s alright, though I hope in the future my personal work will be sufficient. I’m still considering grad school for fine art.

q) When have you started using the internet and what role does this form of communication play for you, personally, for your art, and for your business?

a)As much as I despise the internet for what it takes from people (myself included), I would not be able to maintain my business without it.Promotion would be so much harder without it and it just evens the playing field in so many ways, which I think is great.

q) What do you obsess over?

a)Finding new music,new ideas, the british office, drawing parallel lines.

q) Do you have prefered working hours? Do you pay attention to the time of the day or maybe specific lighting?

a)I can’t really work during the day. I dont know why that is. After dinner I usually set up and then start working.

q) Do you do commissioned works?

a)Well I do illustrations, which are commissioned. I don’t really do portraits, or commissioned work for people to have in their homes though. Not to say that I wouldn’t do that, but it would have to be the right situation, where the clients fully understand what it is I do.

q) Any tips for emerging artists?

a) I’m really new to everything myself so my advice probably means nothing. I always try to remember to avoid trends, don’t try to shock but learn how to surprise, and never do the easy thing when it comes to the actual making of art. Get a website when you have something your proud to show, and make friends with people whose work you respect.

q)…Your contacts

0 Commenti:

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page