Google

lunedì 6 agosto 2007

Interview with Will Henley

q)Let's start with the basics; what's your full name, where do you live, andhow old are you?

a)I'm William Eliot Ainley, I live in Brighton in the Uk and I'm 30 years old.

q) Do you have any formal training?

a)I've got a Degree (BA) in Illustration from the University of Brighton. I did a foundation course in Banbury before that.

q) Did the place you grew up in influence your image making?

a)It may have affected me in a sub-concious way. The particular place that had the most affect was the Pitt Rivers Museum in my hometown of Oxford. It was filled with things like real mummies and headhunters' trophies. That sort of thing appeals to me.

q) How do you come up with your concepts?

a)They appear in my head from nowhere and I mold them until they're ready to be put onto paper.

q) Describe your creations in a clear, concise and understandable sentence. What do you call them?

a)Some are just characters which I give various labels to while I also do a series of cartoons under the heading 'Irrational Fear'. I hope that's clear enough.

q)What other mediums would you like to explore in your image making?

a)It'd be nice to see my images being animated but that would have to be done with someone else.

q)What is the best time in the day for you to work on a project? Is thereone, or is it more about the environment -- maybe the right mood?

a)I mostly like to work late into the night. I find there are less distractions then.

q) What are your artistic influences?...and .generally who or whatinfluences you the most?

a)The biggest artistic influence on my work would be Rene Magritte. I love how he makes the mundane extraordinary with just a few simple adjustments.I am generally inspired by what I see around me. For instance When I go shopping I like to observe other people and how they behave. Something from that may spark an idea.

q) Who are some of your favourite artists/designers/photographers?

a)A few of my favourites would be Glen Baxter, David Shrigley, Marcel Duchamp, the Chapman Brothers, Ron Mueck, Paul Davis, Andrew James Jones and Italy's own Maurizio Cattelan.

q) What is your next project?Exhibition?Collaboration?

a)I've got a T-shirt done with Concrete hermit. I'll also have some prints available in the autumn at the Scrawl Collective website. And I'm doing a poster for the launch of the latest Nick Hornby novel.

q)What are your plans for the future?

a)To keep creating and to take over the world.

q)Are there some web sites that You would like to recomend? Artists, artcommunities, xxx,...!?

a)You can a listen to the music of my friend Conrad at www.conradvingoe.co.uk. Great tunes.

q)What sort of music do you listen to?

a)All sorts really. Currently into Arcade Fire, the Kinks, Secret Machines and Sigur Ros at the moment.

q)Do you collect anything?If so what?

a)I collect dust. In my flat.

q)What do you do for fun?

a)I go to the beach and have a picnic with friends. Watch movies, read books and general lounging about.


q)Any advice you can pass onto aspiring artists/designers?

a)Spend time on developing your own identity in your work. Think of what'll make you stand out from the hundreds of other designers/artists.

q)Your contacts.

a)Look in shock and awe at my work at http://www.willainley.co.uk

0 Commenti:

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page