Google

mercoledì 6 febbraio 2013

Interview with Eric Mistretta






q)For the people who don't know your work - how would you describe it ?

a)It’s like a hangover after a party, when you have to start drinking again to avoid feeling sick.



q)What are the key themes running through your practice?

a)Most of the work addresses themes of romance, sexuality, nostalgia and a sense of the absurd. These themes can be articulated through implied narratives or the juxtaposition of pre-existing materials and objects.



q)Your favorite place on earth?

a)I like watching dumb TV shows with my girlfriend while laying on my pullout couch. Also, during the winter I love the Corner Bistro in NYC. Eating cheeseburgers and drinking cheap beer and watching people walk in the snow.



q)What influences your work?

a)My work is mainly influenced by strange things I witness just walking around. In New York City, the things you see can be very bizarre - in a David Lynch sort of way - and that kind of absurdity inspires me the most. Like a guy dancing with a garbage can, or a child on a leash.



q)What music are you into right now?

a)Lately I really enjoy listening to boring talk radio shows. And always The White Stripes and Nine Inch Nails.



q)Describe your thought & design process...

a)Usually the idea for a piece will come from a particular object that I find. If I’m out looking for materials, I see things that register as having potential for a work. Whether it’s an old piece of furniture or a weird dress or a large dog bone or something. So I try to acquire the materials and then let the idea develop afterwards.


q)Which emerging artists are you looking forward to seeing more of?

a)Andrew Brischler is a young painter from NYC. And also Austin Lee, another young artist who studies at Yale and makes very weird paintings. And Jayson Musson, who turns sweaters into art. Also Cassandra Levine, who is studying at the School of Visual Arts.



q)Favorite place on the internet?

a)I like looking at pictures of weird animals on google. And now that I am in Florence for a few months, I’m writing about all of the amazing food on my blog:
www.openwideny.com.



q)Do you have any upcoming projects/exhibitions we should know about?

a)I currently have work in an awesome group show called Deep Cuts, curated by Wendy White and David Humphrey at the Anna Kustera Gallery in NYC. I’m also incredibly excited about my upcoming solo exhibition on April 30th at the F_AIR Gallery in Florence, where I am the artist in residence.



q)Tell us something we don't know - but should...

a)I’m working on a couple of short videos for people that will be out soon. One is a promo video for Joyce Pensato’s upcoming solo exhibition at the Santa Monica Museum of Art. The other is a happy birthday video celebrating the one year anniversary of Maurizio Cattelan and Massimiliano Gioni’s Family Business Gallery in NYC.



q) Where can people see more of your work on the internet?

a)Images of my work are on my website
www.ericmistretta.com. And if you like food, which most people do, check out my blog www.openwideny.com.

0 Commenti:

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page