Google

giovedì 22 dicembre 2011

Interview with Julie Weitz





q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.


a)I’m an artist currently working in Cleveland, Ohio and Tampa, Florida.


q) How would you describe your work?


a)My work is a combination of graphite, gouache and collage. In the past year I’ve also begun working in video. My work generally addresses the complex and entangled ways we picture others and ourselves.



q) Did somebody encourage you to become an artist?



a)A number of teachers encouraged me through the years, for which I am thankful.



q) What is your favorite medium?



a)I love the simplicity of the pencil, but gouache might be my favorite.



q) Generally speaking, where do your ideas come from?



a)My head ;)



q) How long does it take to complete a piece?


a)Larger drawings will take a few months, smaller ones sometimes only a day or week. The video projects have taken much longer because the process is dependent on other people and technology.



q) Who are your favorite artists…and who are some artists you are currently
looking/listening to?


a)Lately, I’ve been looking at Oskar Schlemmer, Bridget Riley, Indian miniature painting, Sonia Delanuay, Juan Gris, Picasso’s cubist period, and ancient Greek vase painting.


q) Are you represented by a gallery? Do you have any upcoming exhibits?



a)I have an upcoming solo show at William Busta Gallery in Cleveland, Ohio: http://www.williambustagallery.com/


q) Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?



a)Organizing and preparing the studio to work is always a part of my daily ritual. I also download podcasts everyday and load up new music.



q) Do you have goals that you are trying to reach as an artist, what is your 'drive'? What would you like to accomplish in your 'profession'?


a)Broadly speaking, my goal is to form a visual experience that is contemplative, surprising, stimulating and complex.


q) When have you started using the internet and what role does this form of communication play for you, personally, for your art, and for your business?


a)The Internet’s illusion of being infinite and endless while filtered through the flatness of the monitor is actually influencing the organizational space of my current work.


q) What do you obsess over?


a)Tiny details.


q) Do you have prefered working hours? Do you pay attention to the time of the day or maybe specific lighting?


a)I mostly work during the day but I also love late nights in the studios.


q) Do you do commissioned works?


a)Rarely.


q) Any tips for emerging artists?


a)Keep working and stay humble.


q)…Your contacts



0 Commenti:

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page