Google

venerdì 11 settembre 2009

Interview with Adam Zeek





q)Please introduce yourself.



a)My name is Adam Zeek.


q) Where do you live and work?


a)I live in Oregon on the West Coast of the United States. Right now I work construction and carpentry.


q) How would you describe your work to someone who has never seen it?


a)I might tell them it is really colorful or really dark, usually not at the same time. I would tell them it uses familiar imagery but plays it off of unfamiliar settings or surroundings. Geeez, that is a tough question. If they were blind I might suggest listening to some noise music supplemented by some cheech and chong stand up comedy.


q) How did you start in the arts? How/when did you realize you were an artist?


a)My mother has been an active Potter and Artist for over 40 years. Since I was a little child I've been making stuff with her. But only since the age of 20 have I been putting it out into public view.


q) What are your favorite art materials and why?


a) Ooohhh, I love anything recycled. Looking through the trash or going to second hand stores is very inspiring to me. I love looking around at stuff and have it transform into the next project of mine.


q) What/who influences you most?


a) I am very influenced by popular culture. The very concept behind famous people is halarious to me. I love using their images and stories in my work. I am also very inspired by my surroundings. The NorthWest United States has a very prolific and interesting neighborhood of artists.


q) Describe a typical day of art making for you.


a) I guess I don't really have a "typical" day. I like to have a sketch pad or computer handy so whenever the opportunity arises I can jam something out. I think I end up doing most art work at night after I have taken care of all the days activities.


q) Do you have goals, specific things you want to achieve with your art or in your career as an artist?


a) Through art I would like to meet interesting and creative people. Someday I would like the opportunity to travel to another country and have an art show or something. I regularly tell my girlfriend that through all this silly art stuff I spend my time on that someday it will get us a vacation somewhere.


q) What contemporary artists or developments in art interest you?


a) I am very interested in artists that make and produce their own work. People that put on their own art shows or book their own tours. People that print their own zines or release their own music. I love artists with a DIY asthetic. I love artists that don't care where they fit in, they just keep making art because they have to. As for developments in art, I have been interested in intelectual property. I am interested in people owning the rights to music and images. Maybe I just keep up on that topic because I don't wanna get sued for using someone's picture in a collage or some dumb thing like that.


q) How long does it typically take you to finish a piece?


a) It typically takes me less than an hour to finish something.


q) Do you enjoy selling your pieces, or are you emotionally attached to them?


a) I don't think I have ever sold an original piece of art. I make little art zines and sell those all the time.


q) Is music important to you? If so, what are some things you're listening to now?


a) Music is very important to me. I've been listening to Prince Rama of Ayodhya, Meth Teeth, Natural Bridges, Jeffrey Jerusalem, Breakfast Mountain, and ofcourse Dead Moon.


q) Books?


a) I'm reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" It is great soo far.


q) What theories or beliefs do you have regarding creativity or the creative process?


a) You gotta be true to yourself and create whatever your heart desires. Sometimes people are trying soo hard to do something that they lose who they really are. Create from within, don't worry about what others are doing.


q) What do you do (or what do you enjoy doing) when you're not creating?


a) I love playing with my dogs or watching live music. Drinking with friends or joking around and laughing about dumb stuff.


q) Do you have any projects or shows coming up that you are particularly excited about?


a) I've been putting out allot of friends music on my little record label, Oregan Records. I love working on packaging for music releases. I want to keep concentrating on this for a couple moments.


q) Do you follow contemporary art scenes? If so, how? What websites, magazines, galleries do you prefer?


a) I like going to Together Gallery and Grass Hut in Portland. They are nice galleries run by nice people.


q) Any advice for aspiring artists?


a) Believe in yourself and just keep creating. Make stuff everyday.

q) Where can we see more of your work online?


a) www.NorthWestoftheNation.com


Thanks Claudio

0 Commenti:

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page