Google

venerdì 11 aprile 2008

Interview with Valery Milovic

q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.

a) I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. I hated school. Had very few real friends. A handful maybe. Was shy but got into a lot of trouble. I liked to get into mischief... pranks and such. My father was an alcoholic. Mom worked at night. One sister, 10 years older. Unhappy home life. You know how it goes. Got into the original punk scene and still listen to those bands. I have two children... girls. Been married a few times. I keep failing at it, unfortunately. I have a photographic memory. I'm dyslexic. I'm hypersensitive (HSP). I love dogs and music. And birds. I love taking photos, cooking and gardening. I'm into alternative medicine and make my own formulas. I love to read. Mainly nonfiction. Biographies, poetry, and the Bible. I'm fascinated by human behavior and flaw. By uniqueness. I've create and manage my own websites. I collect Boleslawiec ceramics. Those are made in Poland. I'm half Polish. The other half is Irish, English, Dutch, German and American Indian. I currently live in the Southern California mountains. You don't need to know my age, do you? Let's say I'm younger than Joey Ramone would be if he were alive. I'm younger than Bono and Madonna. A tiny bit older than Gwen Stefani >:)

q) Had you always planned on being an artist [or had you other hopes]?

a) I wanted to be a singer in a band. This was my first dream from about the age of 4-5. But later when I tried to pursue a music career, having children was far more important. And I already had 2 girls. I was always an artist so I decided to do that instead. I've always drawn and painted. Ever since I can remember. And my earliest memories of being aware I was creating art were around age 3. At one point I wanted to be a police officer, hahah. Seriously. A detective. I would have been good at it, too >:) But I've always just been an artist. It isn't a job for me... it's a verdict.

q) Do you have a preferred medium to work on? Why?

a) Yes. Acrylic on wood. I prefer it because it just looks the best to me. And it also feels the best when I'm in the process. More natural, I guess. When you put a final gloss coat on the finished piece, it looks absolutely stunning.

q) How would you describe your style?

a) I don't know if I actually have a style. But if I have to name it, I'd say it's obviously in the underground art genre. That being, outsider, intuitive, dark, low brow, art brut, etc. I don't follow the rules, so it's hard to categorize me.

q) Do you go through any certain processes while trying to produce your work?

a) Not really. It's like vomiting. You don't do it a certain way. You just do it.

q) What are you working on at present?

a) I'm working on creating as much art as possible in as little time possible, at the truest quality possible. I've started doing a lot of shows lately and that forces me to work constantly. I like it that way though. My art is like therapy for me. Helps me stay sane.

q) What about recent sources of inspirations?

a) Everyone asks me about my sources of inspiration. I give everyone the same answer... LIFE is my source. What I experience. My art is an emotional upheaval of my personal life. I can't help it. That's just the way it works for me. I take what's inside, and put it outside, on canvas or wood or whatever.

q) What are some of your obsessions?

a) SOME of my obsessions? I have so many! hahah! Let me try and give you the short list... I love music. Am obsessed with lyrics that touch my life. I'm obsessed with Broken Toyland (obviously). I was obsessed with my husband but he dumped me. What else... I'm obsessed with a more slow and natural way of living. I'm obsessed with learning. I'm obsessed with certain movies. Off The Map and The Station Agent are the main ones at the moment. I watch them over and over when I'm depressed and sad. Been watching them a lot lately. They're like old friends... they make me feel better.

q) Which galleries have you shown at and which galleries would you like to show at?

a) Galleries I've shown at are: Hyaena Gallery (Burbank, CA), Alcove Gallery (Atlanta, GA), Fantasy Gallery (Houston, TX), The DA (Pomona, CA). There's others but I can't remember. Some in California and some in Poland. I have upcoming shows at Alcove (presently and also in April), ROCKpaper Gallery in Madrid, NM, solo show for the month of October. Night Gallery in Santa Ana (4 artist group show), CA, in May/June. The Style Lounge in Tarzana, CA, in July/August, solo show. I stopped doing gallery shows for years because I was tired of all the politics involved. All the prejudices. There's a lot of snobbery involved and honestly, it made me sick. So I stopped showing for about 5 years. Just started again last year. I figured it was time. I just avoid the snobs >:) I don't know which galleries I'd like to show at. I'll show anywhere. I'm very grateful to any gallery that wants to show my art. I'm not a snob.

q) If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?

a) People can contact me at brokentoyland.com. There's a link to click for my email. There's also a link on my site to my myspace, if people prefer that.

q) Do you have any suggestions or advice for artists that are just starting out?

a) Yes I do. I would tell them to follow their own rules. To follow their hearts. Their instincts. Be true to that first. Don't follow the rules and regulations of people telling you, you have to do things a certain way to be an artist. This is rubbish. An artist is born from the inside. You cannot make an artist. You can teach technique, but you cannot teach soul! Technique may look pretty, but soul is alive. People can feel it.

q) Who are your favorite artists?
a) I don't think I have any, honestly. I don't follow what others do and I don't look at the art of many other people. But if I have to say something, I'd say I like Henry Darger. I like folk artists and mainly outsiders. The artists that inspire me the most are the song writers and poets. Leonard Cohen is my favorite. I also love Billy Corgan, Dolores O'Riordan, Nina Perrson and Tori Amos.
q) What books are on your nightstand?

a) Great question >:) I think I will disappoint though because I'm moving, so I've packed most of the books in my bedroom. There isn't anything on the shelf by my bed anymore. But there is a Bible on my bed. The other books nearby on the other shelf are: You Are What You Eat by Dr. Gillian McKeith, the Crisis Preparedness Handbook by Spigarelli, Acupressure's Potent Points by Michael Reed Gach, and Plush-o-Rama... a book on stuffed toy making. Santa Fe Houses is the last one. Not very exciting. Sorry >:)

q) To what weaknesses are you most indulgent?

a) Chocolate. Complaining. Bitching. Sephora.

q)….your contacts…

0 Commenti:

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page